Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Maximize Your NAGC Experience, Serve on the Board of Directors

By Kathryn Stokes
President-Elect



Let me say, up front, that I love being a part of the National Association of Government Communicators!  I have loved it since attending my first Communications School in 2008.  I enjoy being around people who are creative and interesting and who love sharing their lessons learned.

So when the opportunity came up for me to serve on the Board of Directors, I accepted the challenge.   That’s when I really began to appreciate the wonderful opportunities available to our members. 

Serving on the NAGC Board of Directors is not for the faint of heart.  Anyone who works in government knows that a call to serve the public is challenging and rewarding at the same time.  The same can be said for serving on the NAGC board.  It is challenging and hard work that can take up a lot of time depending on the position held.  But the rewards more than make up for any hardships along the way.

First and foremost, I have met some incredible people through NAGC and some of my favorites are on the board or have been on the board.  I have had the opportunity to learn from the best…my peers.  Most of them have been in government communications a lot longer than I have, which has been a boon to my learning curve! 

Another great benefit to being a member of the NAGC board is the opportunity to network with so many leaders in the communications field.  As a member of the board I am expected to serve on various committees or head up committees, through which I get to meet even more talented individuals.  These committees provide the framework through which NAGC operates.  They share ideas about better government communications and look for ways to enhance the value of NAGC membership.  They determine the program for the annual Communications School, plan the Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards competition and ceremony, tackle tasks such as redesigning the NAGC website (which is currently in progress) and they identify potential leaders for the organization.  That brings me to the purpose of this missive. 

I want to challenge you, the members of NAGC, to consider running for one of the open positions on the board.  The following positions are available: Treasurer, Education Director, Communications Director, Professional Development Director and Marketing Director.


Share your experience with your fellow government communicators and make a difference in our organization.  Yes, it can be demanding, but it is also extremely rewarding.  For me it is an honor to serve my fellow government communicators.  Being a member of this board provides the opportunity to enhance to benefits for all NAGC members.  This is your opportunity to do the same. 

No comments: