Monday, February 2, 2015

Featured Member of the Month Challenges Members to Get Involved

By Donna Harris
Featured Member of the Month

When I first sat down to write this blog, my mind was as blank as an artist’s new canvas.  But one month into the New Year, and two weeks from Martin Luther King’s birthday and day of service, a spark was ignited.

As communicators we are often challenged with building, growing or saving a brand.  That’s what we do.  Our jobs are busy, stressful and fulfilling at the same time. It’s done so often it becomes second nature and all encompassing.  So with all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I wondered how many of us take the time to get involved and build our own brand. Or, what I call BRAND YOU!

Every time you volunteer-- whether it is with your Agency or an outside group--you learn something new.  And that new experience can be the start of building on your successes, or things you didn’t know about the person sitting next to you.

Take NAGC, when I went to my very first Communications School last year, on the table were cards asking if we wanted to “get involved.”  My immediate reactions or questions were—I don’t want any more work and why would they need me.  But I took a chance and to my surprise, they called and now I am a participant on the membership committee!  And really it doesn’t take much time, and I feel good every time I lend a hand in growing not only their brand, but my next communications masterpiece.

So I challenge each of year to “get involved” and lend a hand.  It doesn’t take much time and you will be all the better and wiser for it!

Donna Harris is currently the Public Information Representative for the US Postal Inspection Service in New York.  Donna has been in her current position for more than three years, and has worked at the United States Postal Service and its law enforcement agencies for almost 29 years.  

Did You KnowThe United States Postal Inspection Service is the law enforcement arm of the Postal Service.  Their agency has been around since the early 1700s, its mission is to ensure the integrity of the mail and the Postal Service by providing investigative, security, and preventive services, and by enforcing federal statutes that protect the mail, postal employees, customers, and assets.

No comments: