At Memphis Light, Gas and Water, we've done a number of things to better equip our employees with more information. Here are a few examples:
- Someone from communications takes notes at our board of directors, City Council and manager meetings, and these notes and presentations are distributed to all employees via e-mail.
- If we've received media coverage, I'll send a recap of the interview, our key messages, and a story link and text once it's available to all supervisors and above.
- We have established an Internal Communications Committee to review our communications efforts and provide feedback on behalf of employees.
- We created a foreman-and-above newsletter entitled "In the Loop" that provides company updates from other areas. The newsletter is sent out monthly via e-mail and in hard copy to our field employees who do not have e-mail.
A few things we hope to implement this year:
- Promote site visits by company executives, and publish Q&A from these visits for all employees.
- Create an "Ask Us!" feature on the Intranet that allows employees to ask random questions about company operations. Our staff will facilitate getting the questions answered.