NAGC 2012 Communication School, "Government Communicators - Telling America's Stories", being held June 5-8, 2012 in the Washington, DC area at the Sheraton National Hotel, Arlington, VA.
2012 Featured Speakers and Topics
- INVITED: Mike Foreman, NASA Astronaut and former Division Chief, External Affairs (to be confirmed)
Amanda Holland, Divisions Operations Manager, Alaska Dept. of Transportation & Public Facilities: Generations in the Workplace
- Karen Kraushaar, Communications Director, Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) & David Barnes,TIGTA Public Affairs Liaison: Keeping Your Agency Out of the Story
- Long-Format Media Panel including: Kathleen Cromley, Executive Producer, National Geographic Channel; Michael Sorensen, Discovery Channel; Chris Hoelzl, Smithsonian Networks; Tom Phillips, independent producer; and Parule Basu-Barua, EVP and Managing Director, Wide-Eyed Entertainment.
- Paul Mellor, author of Fix My Memory
- Dr. Joe Trahan, APR, Fellow PRSA, Owner, Trahan & Associates: Building a Strategic Crisis Communication Plan that Tames the Four-Headed Media Monster
- CDR Chris O' Neil, Chief of Media Relations, U.S. Coast Guard: Federal Communicators in Crisis: Understanding Response Communication Constructs
- Andrew Krzmarzick, Director of Community Engagement, GovLoop and Meagan Dorsch, Director of Public Affairs for National Conference of State Legislatures: Cool Technology Tools to Communicate--Advanced Social Media
- Lisa Connors, PIO, Fairfax County, VA: When Facebook Isn’t The Answer –Traditional Strategies That Still Work
- Joan Detz, Author of How to Write and Give a Speech: The Business of Government Speech Writing
- Plain Language Initiative
- Jennifer Miller, Rockford Gray, LLC: Tell Your Story: Messages that Work with the News Media
- Brian Lavin, Public Information Specialist, US Census Bureau: Need Data? Accessing Census Bureau Data Mining Tools
- Marisa Brown-Ellison, MBC, Customer Relations Manager, MoDOT: I CAN help you! (Effective, practical customer service and communications strategies for government)
- Jeremy Lasich, Deputy Director, Office of Public Affairs, Fairfax County, VA: Branding Government: Creating a Cohesive Look, Feel and Message
- Blue Pencil & Gold Screen Awards Banquet
- Communicator of the Year Award presentation and much more!
Who Should Attend
Federal, state, and local government communicators including contractors who direct and facilitate government communications-editors, writers, graphic artists, webmasters, video professionals, broadcasters, photographers, information specialists, and agency spokespersons.
For registration, schedule and accepted speakers, visit www.nagconline.org.
Last year's conference featured a number of speakers, including former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura's press secretary, John Woodele. A recap of his presentation, "My Governor Can Beat Up Your Governor," was featured in this blog in May. The 2011 school also featured the presentation of the NAGC "Communicator of the Year" award to Adm. Thad Allen, who acted as the incident commander for the explosion on the Deep Water Horizon oil drill platform and subsequent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.